Thursday, May 18, 2006

The Slug

There are lots of really great robots being built using NXT bricks. Case in point: The Slug.

Gastropoda robotica Scolcii (aka The Slug)


The Lego Mindstorms NXT provides the ability to create anything you like. Although there are many other robotics kits out there, Lego has so many different parts that the imagination of the builder is nearly the only limit. With just 100 MDP participants, we already see a wide variety of robots.

Next week, I'm on holiday for 10 days (no postings then). If only I had an NXT set, I could feed the fish automatically for those 10 days. Building a fish feeder doesn't seem very hard. If I had another NXT set, I could make it respond to motion (ultrasonic sensor), and use my mobile phone to send me a text message, or call me to allow me to listen what is going on.

Off course, I could do all of these things with non-Lego solutions. But it is just a lot of fun to try it out. And this is the reason why I am so enthousiastic about Lego Mindstorms NXT. It is not that the other robot building sets aren't impressive. It is just that NXT is the most versatile.

That, and off course the fact that other kits often forget the programming side.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home