Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Call to Teachers

I believe it is great that so many people teach kids Mindstorms. Many of you are just doing this after hours, mostly for the fun of it. I remember when I was 14 (20 years ago), I enjoyed similar "Commodore 64" hobby computer classes in my little village.

But I've been wondering: what would hold someone back to start their own after-hours robotics class in their own town? My first guess would be: knowing what to teach.

That is something many of you have already solved, so maybe teachers can help each other. If you have tought Mindstorms in the past (any version), do you have some sort of syllabus you used, and would you mind sharing it? I would like to collect a number of these, and try to publish some of this on bNXT (adapted for the NXT robots). That way, anyone can start a robot class in their own city. And you don't have to convert your classes to NXT yourself.

To send me attachments, just email me at filip@bnxt.com. Make sure the title stands out from spam, e.g. by mentioning the words "Lego Mindstorms". If you don't have a syllabus, but used a book written by others, please let me know about those as well.

1 Comments:

At March 31, 2006 10:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I help at my local school by working with year 5 children teaching them control using Lego Mindstorms. I have built a ferris wheel and some simple cars with sensors. The ferris wheel thay have to program to rotate at different speeds, stop and start as each chair passes the bottom and then rotate a given number of turns. The cars have to navigate a course detecting and avoiding obstacles. We use a mixture of touch, light and rotation sensors.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home