Friday, March 10, 2006

Lego MDP Was Not Open to Gmail and Yahoo Users?

UPDATE on March 11: Also check out the follow up posting, on what I think really happened.


It appears that so far, no Gmail or Yahoo users have received either a "congratulations" or "bummer" email from the Lego Mindstorms Developer Program. One theory is that the Lego email server has a problem with Gmail or Yahoo email addresses, which prevents them from sending email to these addresses. The problem would allegedly be related to the spam filters Lego uses.

Everyone that signed up did receive an initial "Thank you for signing up" email, because that email was sent by a different company.

If the Lego sent out an email to invite you to the MDP, and it was caught by its spam filters, then you never got it. As a result, you could not reply to it. Assuming Lego did not notice the problem in time, that means that everyone who was invited to join the MDP, but was on a Gmail or Yahoo email, did not reply "in time", from Lego's perspective. The position was declared vacant and someone else was invited.

The theory would also explain why Lego appears to have needed a second and even third round to fill all the positions, while I have not heard of any applicant who would not immediately accept were a MDP position offered.

Right now, it is just a theory. But there is a way of testing it: if you applied for the MDP, did you use Gmail or Yahoo, and did you receive a "congratulations" or "bummer" email? So you applied to the MDP, please comment below and help prove or refute this theory...

Let me go first: I signed up using my gmail address, and I did not receive any notification from Lego after the initial "thank you" note.

Filip

19 Comments:

At March 10, 2006 1:52 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I applied to the MDP and received the confirmation e-mail.

I used my personal mail address which ends in @wanadoo.fr. Wanadoo is the main Internet provider in France.

I got no bummer e-mail and am not in the MDP.

With all this theories going on, I am starting to think I should have used my professional address which is @arm.com. That may have rung a bell at LEGO ;-)

Hope this helps.

 
At March 10, 2006 2:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting! Wanadoo is also a broad email space that can be abused for spam, and a space that may be blocked for that reason.

I guess we need more comments to start to see a pattern, if any exists off course.

Filip

 
At March 10, 2006 2:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used my gmail address.
I received the initial Thank You, message.
I did NOT receive any bummer email or acceptance email.

 
At March 10, 2006 2:53 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used my ....@quicknet.nl mail address and got both the initial Thank you and the bummer email.

Piet

 
At March 10, 2006 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

forgot to mention i received the bummer email on februari 27th

Piet

 
At March 10, 2006 5:16 PM , Blogger tempusmaster said...

Your theory seems to have a lot of merit. I used my gmail account, received the initial confirmation e-mail, then dead silence after that....

 
At March 10, 2006 5:48 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here: received confirmation email, then silence. Using a @msn.com account.

 
At March 10, 2006 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did sign up with my GMail account. I received the first "thank-you" email, and that is it. Nothing since.

I think I am going to call them and see what they say.

 
At March 10, 2006 6:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

...got 1st email but have not got the 2nd one...im using commercial account.

 
At March 10, 2006 8:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the confirmation email, and nothing after that. Used my Adelphia email address.

 
At March 10, 2006 10:12 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I received the confirmation email. but no bummer email or other email from them.

I'm using my work email adres on www.thewillows.nl.. So who knows..

It seems that a lot of people never got an email from lego to tell them they were not voted for the MDP..

 
At March 10, 2006 10:59 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gmail here, and I got no "bummer" email, just the initial confirmation.

 
At March 10, 2006 10:59 PM , Blogger Koshdukai said...

I used my personal (non-gmail) email address and got both, the "Thank You" and the other reply from LEGO.

PS: I would never use a generic free email account (gmail, yahoo, hotmail, etc) for such an important thing, btw :)

 
At March 10, 2006 11:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there. I'm one of the "lucky few", and was asked to spread the news that all of the polite rejection emails have been sent. LEGO strongly suspects that what has happened is that spam filters have intercepted much of this email.

On a personal note, they clearly feel badly that this has happened, and want to assure people that they have not been ignored. But it's hard to get around the spam filters it seems.

--
Brian Davis
member of the MUP2 and MDP teams

 
At March 11, 2006 3:08 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I called and spoke with LEGO today. They mentioned that of the 100 people contacted, only 2 didn't reply in time. The rest all accepted (as did the 2 replacements).

I posted some more of the conversation at my website...

http://brick-labs.com/article/110/lego-bummer-emails-didnt-make-it

 
At March 11, 2006 6:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Got the first confirmation, but not the bummer.....which ended up being worse than actually getting the bummer. I used a cox.net address with no spam filtering.

 
At March 11, 2006 7:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used a non gmail or yahoo email, I used nxtpt.com and I received neither :(

 
At March 13, 2006 11:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the bummer e-mail at my rocketmail.com account which, interestingly, is routed to yahoo. Yahoo bought rocketmail years ago and you access it through the Yahoo mail system.

 
At March 13, 2006 11:50 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got the bummer e-mail at my rocketmail.com account which, interestingly, is routed to yahoo. Yahoo bought rocketmail years ago and you access it through the Yahoo mail system.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home