Saturday, March 25, 2006

Pre-ordering Today (Shipping July 1)

Friday, March 24, 2006, some people applied for the MDP but were not selected got an email with the opportunity to preorder. Ordering is not possible on the web. You have to call the Lego Shop At Home phone number, and provide a special confirmation code. Shipments begin July 1.

This is a really nice gesture from Lego towards the people not selected in the MDP. You're not getting the set in March, but you're still getting it about two months before it is in the shops.

Thanks to Louis, Robert, and Michael for bringing this information to my attention!

Unfortunately, I did not personally receive the email. This could indicate one of three things: perhaps the early preordering is only open to residents of the United States, perhaps Lego will notify Europeans early next week, or perhaps there was another email issue. Why would Lego wait to notify Europeans? In Belgium, the Shop at Home phone lines are only open during business hours, so Lego might be holding the email for Europeans until the shops are actually open and they can order immediately.

To find out if the first option was valid, I called Lego Shop at Home in the U.S. on Saturday, 2 AM U.S. local time (Saturday 11 A.M. Central European Time). I provided name of the set, the number of the box, and the special code. I did not get around to explaining I was calling from Europe, because the lady at the phone had absolutely no idea what box or preordering opportunity I was talking about.

Was the order valid only on Friday? Did they rotate people for the night shift and not brief the new people because the offer expired? It would be odd that Lego would only have a single day of ordering. Right now, the U.S. Shop at Home is my only source of information. In a few hours, their customer support is opening. Perhaps that will provide some answers.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more. Any additional information you might have is appreciated! I suggest NOT to make the ordering code public, I do not think Lego wants this information public. Let's not ruin the opportunity for those who can preorder.

10 Comments:

At March 25, 2006 4:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I pre-ordered one also, but as i'm living in the Netherlands, it's shipping October 1.

 
At March 25, 2006 6:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As if not being selected for the MDP wasn't disappointing enough... I never recieved a pre-order e-mail, and I live in the US.

 
At March 25, 2006 11:05 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just want to add, I did get the email and did pre-order my set yesterday morning. I also, signed up for the pre-order notice by going to the website mentioned in the "bummer" email. I didn't get the "bummer" email, but went to the site that was posted on this blog and filled out the requested info. Maybe, that's why I got the pre-order email.

 
At March 28, 2006 12:42 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

FYI, I did not receive a "no thank you" email. It turns out I did receive a "get one early" email, but it went into my SPAM folder.

So today I called and pre-ordered two of the kits with no problems!

My lego teams will be most happy.

 
At March 28, 2006 9:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not get the email as far as I can tell. A friend passed me a copy, and I was able to order a set without problem.

Having read about the "late" shipment to the Netherlands in the comments above, I had the unit ship to a friend in the U.S.

I'm still trying to figure out what is the deal with the emails. But right now, my day job is taking most of my day, sorry. I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

 
At April 03, 2006 10:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

As far as I can tell, I did not receive the e-mail for the not selected MDP applicants (on my personal gmail address). On April 1, I received the general email on my bNXT.com email address, that I submitted to their notification page. The email talked about the general availability.

Notice that the email does speak about shipments beginning Autumn 2006. In my book, July 1 is summer, but I guess it is better to deliver early than to deliver late.

That I received the email shows that my email client does not filter out Lego messages as spam. Others have reported to have received the Lego message on their Gmail account, which shows that Google also isn't filtering the message. That appears to leave only Lego's internal mail as the possible culpit, as previously noted.

 
At April 05, 2006 1:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like I get to make another phonecall.

I did not receive the offer to pre-order either. My guess is the email system they are using still isn't working correctly.

 
At April 14, 2006 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here in the netherlands they keep it with shipping date 14 October.

:S So i don't know where that 1 of july comes from.. But lego shop@home says 14 Ocotber.

 
At April 15, 2006 10:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Daniel,

Same for Belgium when it comes to the delivery date. However, if you order in the United States, then the shipping date is July 1. To do that, you need a shipping address in the US.

Filip

 
At May 17, 2006 10:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW I just checked out the stand alone parts - is it my faulty memory (of canadaina Prices) but the stand alone parts (sensors etc) are much cheaper than in RIS days. Or atleast affordable.
But I could not find the "connectors" on their own. Do I have to go to Hitechnic for those?
Weeeeeee!!! Spare parts - maybe even just order the Guts (NXT and the accessories ai Want? one sound sensor should be enough for anyone.)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home